Friday 4 October 2013

Texture Experiments



I used mixed media to create two extremely textured pieces of work that differ greatly from each other:

In the image on the left I started with a simple emulsion layer that I started to scratch and scrape into with the end of a paintbrush and with a paint palette knife. While the paint was still wet I used the burnt umber and the Ultramarine Blue to create a verity of blues and purples that I used a stiff paintbrush to apply to the wet emulsion. I then scraped and scratched this layer after I gave it a few minutes to dry. This created even more texture. I used thick black ink to create a very basic composition in this piece (cruciform). After I had let this dry, I used the batik and hot wax technique to create yet even more texture and after this layer had dried, I chose to flick emulsion over parts of the page and left this to dry over night so the paint would remain textured.

With the other image I once again started with a simple emulsion layer and before it dried I placed strips of newspaper on the wet paint to create a vary basic composition in this piece (strata). Before I put the newspaper strips onto the piece I used tyhe end of a paintbrush to  scape into the emulsion layer to give the piece more texture. When the paint dried and the newspaper stuck down, I used the Burnt Umber paint with a dry stiff brush to apply it to the page. I found that the paint became darker in the sections with the newspaper on, and the emulsion kept the paint lighter because it was not quite dry. I later applied melted wax from the batik pot follwing the strata composition. In the short space of time before this stage dried I springled a small amount of sand onto the page and then once again used the end of a paintbrush to scrape into the wax and sand. After this layer dried it left me with a highly textured piece of A4 work.

I will be able to use this piece to combine with another image and create an create an implied texture piece. This is something that I will comsider later on in my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment