Wednesday 30 October 2013

Response to Monet's Work

After studying Claude Monet's work I decided that I would understand his methods better if I tried them out for myself.
 
The top picture is a image of the Sand Dunes that I took myself and looked at the painting 'Terrace At The Seaside' This was painted in 1866 and was once of Monet's earlier pieces, and was painted just one year before Impressionist painting become popular.
 
I tried to keep the painting realistic but add some amounts of impressionism, this is what Monet will have done when painting. I started with a simple wash of thin acrylic paint in dulled down tones. I then after letting it dry overnight, started to add definition into the sky and add the clouds into the painting. I did this step first because it meant that when I painted in the dunes, which are the midground, the sky would clearly be behind the grass on the dunes. I found that the foreground of the painting was my favourite part to do, because even though the way it was painted was simply done, it still looked like a fence made from pieces of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment